We help you move on with confidence, peace of mind & clarity
At Lewis & McNamara, we understand the emotional and financial impact a relationship breakdown can have you on and your loved ones. We work with you to lift the cloud of uncertainly from the divorce process and provide clear and concise advice to safeguard your rights and entitlements.
Our proactive approach to family law matters to maximises your positive outcome, while minimising the stress and disruption to you and your loved ones.
We support the long-term sustainability of your outcomes, ensuring that you are empowered to move on from the breakdown of your relationship with clarity, security and closure.
Take your first step towards clarity and closure today by calling our friendly family law team on 1300 663 236.
What you need to know about getting a divorce
In Australia you are able to make application for a divorce after 12 months of separation from your spouse
As well as having had to have been separated for at least 12 months, there are other requirements you must satisfy before you will be entitled to file your Divorce Application in Court.
In order to be able to file your Divorce Application and successfully obtain a Divorce in Australia, you must first be able to satisfy the below criteria:-
- Your marriage must have broken down irretrievably;
- You and your former spouse must have been living separately and apart for at least 12 months;
- There is no reasonable likelihood of resuming married life;
- Reasonable arrangements must have been made for the care of any children under 18 years of age;
- You need to have been married for at least 2 years or if not, then attended the required counselling.
Do you have a question?
We’re here to help you find the answer.